Start a North Dakota LLC
How to Form a North Dakota LLC
ND Limited Liability Company Basics
- Formation Document: North Dakota Business or Farming LLC Articles of Organization
- Filing Agency: North Dakota Secretary of State Business Registration Unit
- Filing Fee: $135
- How to File: Mail, In Person, Fax
Articles of Organization Requirements
To form a North Dakota LLC, you file Articles of Organization with the Business Registration Unit of the SOS. Articles of Organization list the following information:
- Name of Your LLC: All LLC names must adhere to North Dakota state law.
- Principal Executive Office Address: An executive office must have a physical street address, not a PO box.
- North Dakota Registered Agent: A registered agent accepts service of process and official business mail on behalf of your LLC.
- Effective Date: The date your LLC is officially created.
- Business Purpose: A business must be organized for a legal purpose.
- Name and Address of Organizers: Organizers prepare and file your Articles of Organization.
What Are the Name Requirements for a North Dakota LLC?
In accordance with the North Dakota Century Code, Chapter 10-32.1, when selecting a name for your limited liability company, you must include either “Limited Liabilty Company,” “LLC” or “L.L.C.”
You must use a name that is not already registered by another business. You can do a Business Records Search to see if your name is already being used.
What is a Principal Executive Office?
The Principal Executive Office is the main address of your LLC. It is at this location where you keep your business and financial records. This address must be a physical street address, not a PO box. If your LLC does not maintain an office, you can list the address of an officer or manager.
What is a Registered Agent?
A North Dakota registered agent accepts service of process (notice of litigation) and other official business mail on behalf of your business. An agent maintains a registered office within the state where mail can be delivered in person throughout the year.
You can select a Commercial Registered Agent (an agent that has registered with the Secretary of State) or a Noncommercial Registered Agent. Both perform the same duties.
What is the Effective Date?
The effective date of your LLC is the date upon which your company is officially formed and brought into existence. This can be one of two dates:
- The day your Articles of Organization are filed with the Secretary of State
- A later date specified by you, which can be no later than 90 days after filing
What is a Business Purpose?
Your business purpose may be any lawful purpose for which you have created this company.
Who Are My LLC Organizers?
The organizers are the individuals who have prepared and filed your Articles of Organization. You must provide the complete mailing address of each organizer.
Filing With the Business Registration Unit
Once your Articles are completely filled out, you can file the form with the Secretary of State. You can mail the document, deliver it by hand, or fax it to the SOS.
Fax Number: 701-328-2992
Business Registration Unit
Secretary of State
State of North Dakota
600 E Boulevard Ave Dept 108
Bismarck, ND 58505-0500
When filing by fax, you will need to fill out the Credit Card Payment Authorization form, which is attached at the bottom of the Articles.
Checks should be made payable to: Secretary of State.
Our North Dakota Business Formation Service
When you sign up for our North Dakota Business Formation Service, we take care of everything for $130 + state fees. That includes filing your articles, serving as your registered agent for a full year, and providing you the tools to set up your professional North Dakota business presence (domain name, website, SSL, email address and phone number for your business).
Fast, affordable, comprehensive. We’re there for you and cover all your needs.
Order Business Formation Service | $130 + State Fees